Whitsunday Tours on Purpose Built Catamarans
Wings II is a custom built sailing and adventure catamaran, designed by Angelo Lavranos. Originally built to charter in Auckland, New Zealand ... but after discovering the beautiful Whitsundays she crossed the ditch and made a home for herself in Airlie Beach. Now Wings II has made a name for herself doing scheduled tours around the Whitsunday Islands departing every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Wings II was my first multihull and that is the beginning of the story. They say once you have sailed a multihull there's no going back. I've cruised and raced a variety of dinghies , skiffs, nacra cats and cruising multihulls; including being part of the winning multihull crew in the first multihull event at Hamilton Island. Racing aside, the reason I love multihulls is the stability of the boat when at anchor. A large part of your time on any cruise or charter is spent at anchor. Multihulls have large deck space and Wings II is no lightweight here either with over 125 sq/m of deck space there's enough room to get lost.
Angelo Lavranos is a great boat designer and Wings II is a great social boat with an open helm area and large foredeck and open aft deck / Weber BBQ area. I think of this boat as the great entertainer and she's my favourite boat for an afternoon sail on the bay with a large or small group of friends ... This boat is the entertainer!
The aft sundeck of Wings II carries the toys, a clear bottom tandem kayak and a few paddle boards, perfect for an afternoon of simply messing about on boats! Inboard from there we have refrigerated drink storage and space to get ready for your water activities or just chill out in the evening watching the fish and dolphins play in the boats underwater blue lights.
Inside we go and we have the Wings II saloon area with 3 separate seating areas and the galley, all fully air conditioned. Chilled, filtered water is available from the galley and 2 flat screen tv's allow the crew to show you the various corals and reef fish you may see while snorkelling the beautiful Whitsunday reef.
Wings II can carry up to 40 people just for the day when sailing in the bay or 29 people overnight but give her a little breeze and she's great fun to sail. The primary winch has a 24 volt electric motor that takes much of the hard work out of the job, leaving you with easy, smooth and stable sailing.
So after that little story about our Wings II; you may ask "Why is Wings II the first one, when it is called Wings II ? .... Well , I'll answer that one when I see you onboard for that first, second or even third "Sleep aboard, wake up in paradise" Whitsunday adventure.
- Survey : Class 1D
- Build : USL
- Activities by permit : Sailing, Snorkelling, walks / hiking, non motorised watersports, motorised watersports, fishing activities, fish feeding, whale watching
- Permits : Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, Queensland Parks Wildlife, Queensland Fisheries
- Length: 15.7m
- Beam : 8m
- Draft : 1.9m
- Weight : 19 tonnes
- Tenders : up to 2
- Engines main : 2 Yanmar 125hp running fixed blade propellers
- Generators : 2 Cummins Onan 9.5 kva
- Berths : 29 persons including crew overnight / 45 inshore / 31 partially smooth water for the day
- Air conditioning : 4 cruise air units
- Sails: Main , 1 headsails , spinnaker in a sock
- Toilets / showers : 2 interior / and the aft deck shower
- Cruise speed under power : 8 knots
- Water chilling unit
- Water : 1500 litres
- Diesel : 550 litres
- Black : 400 litres
- Plotter, Radar, Autopilot, AIS, VHF, Internet Aerials
Toys / accessories:
- Large shaded aft deck and sundeck
- Fully air conditioned interior
- MAC computer
- Onboard camera equipment
- 3 Paddle boards
- 1 Clear bottom Tandem Kayak
- Snorkelling gear and wetsuits onboard
- Defibrillator, First Aid and Oxygen supply equipment
- RIB 15hp
- Master / Engineer and 1 crew member