WHITSUNDAY TOURS ON PURPOSE BUILT CATAMARANS
Wings III is a custom built sailing and adventure catamaran, designed by Angelo Lavranos specifically to operate in the Whitsunday area. Wings III was designed to "Sleep aboard and wake up in paradise".
The design started with her sistership Wings II, another of Angelo's designs and to this another 3m and about 5 tonnes overall was added by the time she launched. Wings III was designed to be able to operate comfortably for crew and guests on extended journeys in a wide range of weather conditions while conducting a range of water activities while at anchor; while still maintaining decent sailing performance on the longer legs of her journeys around the Whitsunday Islands and Outer Great Barrier Reef reef systems. As the boat had a design criteria to work amongst offshore reef systems her keels are slightly shallower than her little sister and her hulls are slightly more beamy giving her a larger interior volume.While she's no racing cat, she can maintain a 10 knot boat speed under sail when returning from the outer great barrier reef in a fresh breeze on an ocean that has a few bumps.
The operational limits for Wings III is the entire Queensland coast as per the Class C operational limits in the Great Barrier Reef. Our area of operation is the Whitsunday Island Group and associated Great Barrier Reef systems within approximately 50 nautical miles of these islands on extended private charters.
Wings III has a 365 day Whitsundays Islands operational marine park permit and 365 day National Park access to Whitehaven Beach and Tongue bay / Hill inlet on Whitsunday Island. Many areas in the Whitsundays have limits to entry based on the total number of people onboard a boat. All Wings marine park permits are also for the entire Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
Wings III also has a charter fishing licence for "General use" and "Habitat Protection areas". Whilst Wings vessels do not run charter fishing tours as such, sometimes it's great to put a line in of an evening or for some people it can be the opportunity to catch their first fish. All Wings boats carry basic fishing gear and squid jigs just for a little fun when we have the time and the zoning of the area allows. Charter fishing includes line fishing, spear fishing, game fishing and bottom fishing and WingsIII is a great mothership for these activities. Talk to us about the opportunity to add these as activities on any extended private charter.
As you step aboard Wings III you come straight into the covered aft deck seating area / gear up for the adventure area and the back deck Weber BBQ area. There is an additional outside toilet and shower onboard. Wings III can carry up to 29 guests in the bay or for a full day charter and comfortably sleeps 21 guests in the hull areas for our overnight private charters (Additional saloon beds can be made upon special request).
Moving into the fully air conditioned vessel interior, the saloon of Wings III has 3 separate dining areas and a large galley with 4 domestic fridges. In the saloon we have 2 flat screen TV's, one being the larger display to the onboard computer. Galley stove top and oven is gas. Filtered and cooled water available.
Accommodation: In each hull there in a forward and aft cabins. The forward cabins can sleep up to 8 people and the aft cabins can sleep up to 5 people in a mixture of single and double beds. Between the forward and aft cabin is a toilet / shower area on either side of the vessel. Bluetooth Stereo system connecting to all deck areas and the main saloon.
Wings III can comfortably accommodate large groups for 3 to 4 days without reprovisioning. Extended charters for larger groups will require a mid charter turn around or reprovision using Wings I our custom built RIB.
When doing extended island / offshore charters, Wings 3 tows an additional tender being our fast RIB, Wings I.
- Survey : Class 1C Restricted Offshore waters within the GBRMP
- Build : USL / NSCV
- Activities by permit : Sailing, Snorkelling, walks / hiking, non motorised watersports, motorised watersports, fishing activities, fish feeding, whale watching
- Permits : Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, Queensland Parks Wildlife, Queensland Fisheries
- Length: 18m
- Beam : 8m
- Draft : 1.5m
- Weight : 25 tonnes
- Tenders : up to 2
- Engines main : 2 Yanmar 125hp running fixed blade propellers
- Generators : 2 Cummins Onan 9.5 kva
- Berths : 34 persons including crew
- Air conditioning : 4 cruise air units
- Hydraulics : Primary, secondary winches, anchor winch and submersible stern platform
- Sails: Main , 2 headsails , spinnaker in a sock
- Toilets / showers : 2 interior / 1 aft deck / and the aft deck shower
- Cruise speed under power : 8 knots
- Water maker 240 ltr/hr
- Water chilling unit
- Water : 2000 litres
- Diesel : 800 litres
- Black : 600 litres
- Plotter, Radar, Autopilot, AIS, VHF, Internet Aerials
Toys / accessories:
- Large shaded aft deck and sundeck
- Fully air conditioned interior
- Foredeck spa
- Clothes Dryer
- MAC computer
- Onboard camera equipment
- 5 Paddle boards
- 3 Clear bottom Tandem Kayaks
- Snorkelling gear and wetsuits onboard
- Defibrillator, First Aid and Oxygen supply equipment
- Hydraulic aft submersible platform
- On longer offshore charters : 2 tenders
- onboard barefoot RIB with 15hp
- Wings 1, RIB, 7.3m , twin 115hp engines : class 2C/2D
- Master / Engineer and 1 crew member